Seven years on the mission field gave Dr. Matthew Bennett the opportunity to see the American church with fresh perspective. As a missionary and professor at Cedarville University, he invites American evangelicals to look at the American church like someone on the outside looking in. Without the sentiments or idealizations that can come with familiarity, he shares a Hope for American Evangelicals: A Missionary Perspective on Restoring Our Broken House.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- Why it’s important to survey the broken places in American churches
- The gospel and the implications of not understanding the worldview of your neighbors
- Spiritual lessons from Christians in places that are usually hostile to the gospel message
ABOUT THE GUEST:
Matt and his wife Emily spent several years living in North Africa and the Middle East prior to returning to the US where Matt teaches Missions and Theology at Cedarville University. Matt is the author of 40 Questions about Islam, The Qur’an and the Christian and his most recent book, Hope for American Evangelicals.
SCRIPTURE RELATED TO EPISODE:
- John 3: 16; God so Loved the World
- 02:13-15&version=NIV" rel="noopener noreferrer" target="_blank">Ephesians 2: 13-15; Dividing Walls Abolished in Christ
- Matthew 16: 18; Gates of Hell Will Not Prevail
- Luke 10: 25-28; Christians Called to Love Neighbors
- Matthew 10: 16; Wise as a Serpent and Innocent as a Dove
- Matthew 5: 10; The Promise of Persecution & The Promise of Blessing
- Philippians 3: 20; A Christian’s Citizenship in Heaven
- Luke 9: 23; Following Jesus Each Day
Hope for American Evangelicals: A Missionary Perspective on Restoring Our Broken House
00:40 – Topic: Hope for American Evangelicals: A Missionary Perspective on Restoring Our Broken House
01:45 – Family on the Mission Field
03:36 – What is American Evangelicalism?
06:54 – Looking at the House with Fresh Eyes
09:39 – Looking at Today’s American Church from a Missionary Perspective
11:33 – What is a Missionary Perspective?
13:45 – Sexuality in the Church
14:20 – What’s the Church’s Vision of Sex?
17:11 – Surveying the Broken Places
18:18 – The Neighborhood: Understanding Our Neighbors’ Worldview
19:58 – Racial Reconciliation and the Dividing Walls Abolished in Christ
23:45 – Contextualizing the Gospel and Telling the Entire Story of the Bible
28:16 – Global Christians Contributing to the American Church
30:21 – Government and Practicing Faith
33:44 – The Gospel In the Middle of a Revolution
35:50 – Comforts, Persecution and the Global Church
40:17 – Citizenship in Heaven
41:50 – How Shall We Live?
43:44 – Contacting Matt Bennett
44:32 – Dad Jokes Abounding
DID YOU APPRECIATE THIS PODCAST?
Checkout previous episodes, leave a review, drop us a note or support the mission here: oururbanvoices.com