Matthew Bennett unpacks sin, forgiveness and atonement – comparing the Biblical and Quranic views.
In a conversation between Muslims and Christians, the same word can communicate very different ideas.
Those unexplored differences can become obvious in how the afterlife is described. How is the Quran’s Paradise understood in comparison to the Bible’s description of Heaven?
- What are the meanings of sin and forgiveness in the Quran compared to the Bible
- How Quranic concepts may have impacted Arabic-speakers whether or not the community is Muslim
- How Christians can offer better explanations and increase understanding when talking about sin and forgiveness with Muslim friends
About the Guest:
Matthew Bennett is an Assistant Professor at Cedarville University in Missions and Theology.
Prior to joining Cedarville, he and his family lived in North Africa for 7 years. Along with ministry experience in a Muslim context, Matthew has over 17 years of experience in intercultural ministry.
His book, The Qur’an and the Christian (2022), offers clear practical applications for people who have a heart to share the gospel.
His academic credentials include:
- Ph.D. in Missiology, Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
- M.Div. in International Church Planting, Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
- M.A. in Intercultural Studies, Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
Scripture Related to Episode
Links Related to Episode:
- Global Ministry as a Family with Young Children
- The Road to Global Ministry, North Africa and Academic Research of Atonement in the Quran Compared to the Book of Hebrews
- Conversations That Inspired the Book – The Qur’an and the Christian: An In-Depth Look into the Book of Islam for Followers of Jesus
- Looking at Words Used in the Quran that Have a Different Meaning Than the Same Word in Arabic Bible Translations
- Quranic Influence on Non-Muslim Communities That Speak Arabic
- Considering Sin and the Consequences of Sin from a Biblical View
- Two Views of God’s Original Relationship With His Creatures and How Jesus’ Life and Crucifixion Relates
- Pointing to the Purity and Presence of God in Day of Atonement Rituals: Cleansing and Substitutionary Sacrifices
- Requirements of Forgiveness When God is Near and Not Remote
- What a Question about Paradise Can Reveal
- Should a Christian Read the Quran and if so, Why and How?
- What is Implied if a Christian Tells a Muslim “I believe in Jesus too”?