Dr. Matt Bennett unpacks sin, forgiveness and atonement – comparing the Biblical and Quranic views.
In a conversation between Muslims and Christians, the same word can communicate very different ideas.
Those unexplored differences can become obvious in how the afterlife is described. How is the Quran’s Paradise understood in comparison to the Bible’s description of Heaven?
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- 6 key questions for Christians to understand a Quranic view compared to the Biblical view, including the meanings of sin and forgiveness
- How Quranic concepts may have impacted Arabic-speakers whether or not the community is Muslim
- How Christians can offer better explanations and increase understanding when talking about sin and forgiveness with Muslim friends
ABOUT THE GUEST:
Dr. Matthew Bennett is an Assistant Professor at Cedarville University in Missions and Theology.
Prior to joining Cedarville, he and his family lived in North Africa for 7 years. Along with ministry experience in a Muslim context, Matthew has over 17 years of experience in intercultural ministry.
Matthew is the author of three books and is anticipating the release of a new book, Hope for American Evangelicals: A Missionary Perspective on Restoring Our Broken House (2023).
His book, The Qur’an and the Christian (2022), offers clear, practical applications for people who have a heart to share the gospel with friends. His academic credentials include:
- Ph.D. in Missiology, Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
- M.Div. in International Church Planting, Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
- M.A. in Intercultural Studies, Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
SCRIPTURE RELATED TO EPISODE:
- The Book of Hebrews
- Genesis 1:27 – All Humanity Created in God’s Image
- Genesis 3:7-9; God walks in Garden of Eden
- Isaiah 7:14; God with Us
- Isaiah 9:6; A Child Is Born
- Isaiah 53:4-6; Substitutionary Death of Messiah
- Leviticus 16:1-22; Day of Atonement Rituals
- Revelation 21:1-8; God Dwells with People
- Narratives in Conflict: Atonement in Hebrews and the Qur’an
- The Qur’an and the Christian: An In-Depth Look into the Book of
- Islam for Followers of Jesus
- Connect with Matthew Bennett on Twitter
02:08 – Topic: The Quran and the Christian
03:21 – International Ministry as a Family with Young Children
06:32 – American Comforts versus the Global Mission Field
07:48 – Intercultural Studies and Church Planting
08:16 – The Road to Academia
09:45 – North Africa and Academic Research of Atonement in the Quran Compared to the Book of Hebrews
10:35 – Conversations that Inspired – The Qur’an and the Christian: An In-Depth Look into the Book of Islam for Followers of Jesus
11:53 – Concept of Language: The Same Words in the Quran that Have a Different Meaning than in the Arabic Bible
12:47 – Quranic Influence on Non-Muslim Communities
13:46 – The Concepts of Sin
14:17 – Sin and God’s Original Relationship with Humanity
15:58 – Did Jesus Die on the Cross?
16:22 – How Jesus’ Life and Crucifixion Relates
16:33 – Sin and Forgiveness When God is Near and Not Remote
17:29 – Purity and Presence of God in Day of Atonement Rituals: Cleansing and Substitutionary Sacrifices
18:22 – The Concepts of Forgiveness
21:50 – Practical Questions to Deepen Conversation
22:23 – 1. Describing Paradise?
23:17 – 2. Where is God in Paradise?
23:54 – 3. Why Did God Make Us?
24:55 – 4. What Would Need to Happen for God’s Creatures to Dwell with God?
26:34 – 5. Should a Christian Read the Quran and if so, Why and How?
27:27 – Christians, Checking Assumptions about the Quran
28:53 – 6. What is Implied if a Christian Tells a Muslim “I believe in Jesus too”?
30:47 – Contacting Matt Bennett
31:33 – Joke Time: Ha Ha Neigh Neigh
DID YOU APPRECIATE THIS PODCAST?
Checkout previous episodes, leave a review, drop us a note or support the mission here: oururbanvoices.com